This short blog shares colon cancer info you should know:
– There is a lifetime risk of 1 in 19.
– 75% of victims have no family history.
– 90% of cases are preventable by regular screening.
– Early colon cancer has no hints or symptoms.
– By the time patients have symptoms (pain, stool changes, blood in stool, weight loss), advanced disease is present.
– Recognized risk factors are: high fat diet, diabetes, smoking, ulcerative colitis, and Crohn’s disease.
– The most accurate screening test is a colonoscopy.
– Medicare covers a colonoscopy when medically indicated by a physician. Yes I get them, just had my 10 year follow-up.
Many myths regarding this cancer are out there; please read the five most common at American Cancer Society website.