The science is there technology (inc. cell phones, internet, iPads, TV) is BAD for children under 12!
60% of parents do not supervise their child’s technology usage, and
75% of children are allowed technology in their bedrooms (Kaiser Foundation 2010).
75% of children aged 9 and 10 years are sleep deprived to the extent that their grades are detrimentally impacted (Boston College 2012).
– A developing brain overexposured to can develop attention deficit, cognitive delays, impaired learning, increased impulsivity and decreased ability to self-regulate, e.g. tantrums.
– Mental illness may be a factor in increasing child depression rate. Anxiety, autism, bipolar disorder, psychosis, and problematic child behavior have been found to result from overuse of technology.
-Radiation exposure coming from devices in form of EMF emission is classified as a ‘possible carcinogen’. The American Academy of Pediatrics in 2013 requested review of EMF radiation emissions from technology devices, citing three reasons regarding impact on children.
– Games are fun but solo games commonly violent lead to aggression in children.
– Addiction and sleep deprivation are seen in many studies.
– Obesity results from lack of physical activity
– Neck problem while children are still developing along with eye muscle changes from looking up close for prolonged periods.
There is more have a read of this link http://www.zonein.ca/
Sad future for children who overuse technology! Please it is in your power to prevent technology hurting your child.