If you eat less it is intuitive that your health will be better and you may live longer. Now a recent report has documented that adults under 50 with no heart disease nor diabetes, who restricted their calories by only 12% over 2 years had impressive health outcomes.
Individuals, aka calorie restrictors, saw significant improvements in multiple cardiovascular risk factors from where they were at the beginning of 2 yr. study:
Blood pressure increases as we age, that is why you see above an increase in the control groups BP numbers
- • Systolic BP: +2.15 mm Hg (control) vs -2.20 mm Hg (calorie restriction)
- Diastolic BP: +1.55 mm Hg vs -3.40 mm Hg
Those partaking in the study also noted a 10% in body weight, mostly body fat.
The lipid profile also was found to be affected:
- LDL-cholesterol: +0.03 mmol/L vs -0.23 mmol/L
- Total cholesterol to HDL-cholesterol ratio: -0.047 vs -0.532
- Triglycerides: -0.03 mmol/L vs -0.27 mmol/L